Thursday, April 11, 2013

ARTIST'S STATEMENT

Stone sculpture is a totally unique, for it is a singularly subtractive process. Even in polishing the finished piece, there is only removal of material, with no addition. SCULPTURE from the Greek word to remove.


Stone sculpture for me, is also a study in nature. The chemical and physical properties of the stone, its color, mottling, grain, and texture, all direct me to interpret the possibilities and limitations of the stone.


Each sculpture I have carved in the last twenty years has been a unique interaction between my
emotions, the stone, and the tools I am using. This challenge, and inner tension, gives the sculpture value and meaning to me, and sometimes others willing to engage with my art.


So I solicit audience participation for my sculpture, for above all, it only needs to evoke
emotion to be to be meaningful. I want my work to pass this simple test.


JOSEPH CONRAD



2 comments:

  1. These are all SO awesome! I love looking at your stone cutting art work and sculptures! I just think they are stunning! Someday I would love to have a piece in my own home! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great info on stone cutting! I appreciate your insights and advice!

    ReplyDelete